Job Opening: GIS & ENGINEERING TECHNICIAN
We are seeking an individual for a GIS & Engineering Technician position. Butler Rural is an electric distribution cooperative serving members in four counties in southwest Ohio. We are a dynamic, progressive organization guided by cooperative principles providing energy and other value-added services to members and customers. The cooperative participates in its communities, providing leadership and support to improve the quality of life for all of its citizens.
POSITION OBJECTIVE: It is the objective of this position to be responsible for securing, recording, and maintaining engineering data, performing drafting functions, and utilizing the most effective practices to provide members and internal users with the best possible service consistent with good business practices.
- Oversees data collection utilized in the GIS system, and maintains data collection equipment such as GPS devices and mapping for field crew devices.
- Maintains and supports the staking system and users of the current mapping system.
- Develop and submit models for use in the development of long and short-range system plans.
- Keeps informed of technical developments outside the Cooperative through study of technical literature, attendance at the appropriate meetings and training programs as required.
- Maintains and coordinates upgrades of AMI equipment and software. Ensures consistent retrieval of meter readings for billing and engineering uses. Ensures software is up-to-date and working properly.
- Maintains Outage Maintenance System by regularly updating the connectivity model. Ensures integration between the OMS and AMI systems.
- Responds to usage concerns of the membership by utilizing AMI data, and through deployment of the voltage recorder, and evaluation of the data collected.
- Maintains databases (joint use, pole inventory, and inspections) containing information and prepares reports for the Cooperative’s assets in the field.
- Project a positive public image and maintain satisfactory public relations by responding to consumer inquiries in a timely and professional manner.
- Supports radio monitoring and dispatch of system operations.
- Coordinate deployment and operation of remote disconnect devices.
- Scans and maintains NERC compliance documentation.
- Perform all other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
- Compile and submit an annual work plan and budget items to be included in the Cooperative Work Plan and Budget.
- Provide Back-up for the non-clerical functions of Position C-15.
- Ability to conform to policies established for the Cooperative by the Board of Trustees.
- Must have good communication, customer service and employee relation skills.
- Must be knowledgeable in the areas of GIS Systems for inventory, map production and model development.
- Must be able to independently make decisions.
Integrity and Trust
Ethics and Values
The cooperative offers an attractive benefits and retirement package with salary commensurate with experience and qualifications. Send resume and references to firstname.lastname@example.org or Julie Abbott, Butler Rural Electric Cooperative, Inc., 3888 Stillwell Beckett Rd., Oxford, OH 45056.
Butler Rural Electric Cooperative, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Electric Cooperative Careers
Rural electrification offers a wide variety of career opportunities. These range from technical occupations such as engineering, construction and line work, to positions in clerical, secretarial, financial and administrative areas. Also important are member services, public and community relations and energy management.
These jobs require varying degrees of skill, education, personal qualities and experience. They also offer different personal and monetary rewards, and varying opportunities for on-the-job training and advancement. The cooperatives themselves vary greatly in size and type, from a small distribution cooperative with fewer than 25 employees, to a large generation and transmission system with more than 1000 employees. The average distribution cooperative employs about 50-60 persons.
For a listing of open positions at other rural electric cooperatives click here.
Applications are only accepted when a job opening is available and advertised in the local newspapers. Resumes are accepted at all times and are kept on file for a six month period.
Submit resume to:
c/o Julie Abbott
Butler Rural Electric Cooperative, Inc.
3888 Stillwell Beckett Road
Oxford, OH 45056
Job Shadowing/Career Days
The cooperative is very supportive of student activities and assignments. Please contact the cooperative at 513-867-4400 if you would like us to be a part of your school's Career Day or if you would like to spend some time "on-the-job" to get a first hand look at job opportunities within an electric cooperative.
Statement of Nondiscrimination
Butler Rural Electric Cooperative, Inc., 3888 Stillwell Beckett Road, Oxford, Ohio is the recipient of Federal financial assistance from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). The USDA prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, and where applicable, sex, marital status, familial status, parental status, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, or because all or part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.) Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) should contact USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TDD). To file a complaint of discrimination, write to USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, or call toll free (866) 632-9992 (voice) or (800) 877-8339 (TDD) or (866) 377-8642 (relay voice users). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.