Job Opening: Electrical Planning Engineer
Butler Rural Electric Cooperative is seeking an individual for the position of electrical planning engineer. A bachelor ofsScience degree in electrical engineering or power engineering is required. Preferred candidate will have a minimum of three years-experience in an electric distribution environment or hold a professional engineer (PE) license.
POSITION OBJECTIVE: It is the objective of this position to be responsible for designing and maintaining electric plant and regulatory compliance, utilizing the most effective engineering practices to provide members with the best possible service consistent with good business practices, and environmental acceptability.
- Develop and maintain a power system protection program.
- Conduct engineering studies such as transformer loading, voltage drops, fault currents, line feasibility, sectionalizing, and load balance.
- Perform planning studies to develop the construction work plan and long-range forecast.
- Keep informed of technical developments outside the cooperative through study of technical literature and attendance at appropriate meetings and training programs as required.
- Perform studies for new service or distributed generation requests.
- Develop and maintain an arc flash and spill prevention program for OSHA compliance.
- Respond to usage concerns of the membership by utilizing AMI data, and through deployment of the voltage recorder and evaluation of the data collected.
- Review staking for engineering compliance.
- Develop and maintain switching plans for use by operations and engineering.
- Monitor all systems relative to service reliability and system protection.
- Prepare necessary engineering reports.
- Project a positive public image and maintain satisfactory public relations by responding to consumer inquiries in a timely and professional manner.
- Develop and maintains NERC compliance documentation and processes.
- Review substation inspection and testing reports as assigned and process service orders for operations.
- Perform all other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Compile and submit an annual work plan and budget items to be included in the cooperative work plan and budget.
- Ability to pass the PE exam within three years.
- Ability to conform to policies established for the cooperative by the board of trustees.
- Must have good communication, customer service, and employee relation skills.
- Must have management skills in the areas of supervision, planning, and budgeting.
- Must be knowledgeable in the areas of RUS electrical transmission and distribution systems for design and construction of facilities.
Must be able to independently make decisions.
Integrity and trust
Ethics and values
The cooperative offers an attractive benefits and retirement package with salary commensurate with experience and qualifications. Send resume and references to email@example.com or Julie Abbott, Butler Rural Electric Cooperative, Inc., 3888 Stillwell Beckett Rd., Oxford, OH 45056.
Butler Rural Electric Cooperative, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
Rural electrification offers a wide variety of career opportunities. These range from technical occupations such as engineering, construction and line work, to positions in clerical, secretarial, financial and administrative areas. Also important are member services, public and community relations and energy management.
These jobs require varying degrees of skill, education, personal qualities and experience. They also offer different personal and monetary rewards, and varying opportunities for on-the-job training and advancement. The cooperatives themselves vary greatly in size and type, from a small distribution cooperative with fewer than 25 employees, to a large generation and transmission system with more than 1000 employees. The average distribution cooperative employs about 50-60 persons.
For a listing of open positions at other rural electric cooperatives click here.
Applications are only accepted when a job opening is available and advertised in the local newspapers. Resumes are accepted at all times and are kept on file for a six month period.
Submit resume to:
c/o Julie Abbott
Butler Rural Electric Cooperative, Inc.
3888 Stillwell Beckett Road
Oxford, OH 45056
Job Shadowing/Career Days
The cooperative is very supportive of student activities and assignments. Please contact the cooperative at 513-867-4400 if you would like us to be a part of your school's Career Day or if you would like to spend some time "on-the-job" to get a first hand look at job opportunities within an electric cooperative.
Statement of Nondiscrimination
Butler Rural Electric Cooperative, Inc., 3888 Stillwell Beckett Road, Oxford, Ohio is the recipient of Federal financial assistance from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). The USDA prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, and where applicable, sex, marital status, familial status, parental status, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, or because all or part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.) Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) should contact USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TDD). To file a complaint of discrimination, write to USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, or call toll free (866) 632-9992 (voice) or (800) 877-8339 (TDD) or (866) 377-8642 (relay voice users). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.